Arborist (Summer Position)
2489 Bayview Ave., Toronto, ON
June 01, 2020
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
May 29, 2020
August 28, 2020
Summer Contract (5 days per week)
Start Date: June 2020
End Date: August 28, 2020 (with possible extension)
Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Location: Canadian Film Centre, 2489 Bayview Avenue
The Canadian Film Centre (CFC) is a registered charity and a leading cultural organization for the development and advancement of Canadian creative and entrepreneurial talent in the screen-based industries. CFC’s programs and initiatives span film and television, screen acting, composing and songwriting for the screen, and digital and immersive media. These uniquely designed programs support and empower Canadian artists, creators and entrepreneurs, and generate world-class talent, content, products and companies for the global marketplace.
Located at Windfields Estate, the former home of celebrated Canadian philanthropist and entrepreneur, Edward Plunket (E. P.) Taylor, the designated heritage property features eight buildings, two woodlots, numerous hedgerows and gardens, and more than 200 specimen trees.
Responsible for employing best practices in care of the specimen trees, orchards, woodlots, hedges and shrubs. This position offers a diverse range of hands-on responsibilities.
- Recommending best practices for arboreal care;
- Watering and fertilizing the specimen trees, orchard trees, hedges and shrubs;
- Maintaining the tree mulch, including applying and augmenting mulch;
- Weeding the tree saucers and the hedges;
- Pruning deadwood from the specimen and orchard trees and pruning the boxwood, yew, and White Cedar hedges;
- Combating pests;
- Implementing the CFC’s Woodlot Management Plan, including endangered species protection, hazard tree monitoring, understory clean-up, native species introduction and invasive species management;
- Hazard tree management, including application to the City of Toronto for tree removal permit(s);
- Managing the fruit harvest;
- Maintaining the arborist tools and equipment;
- Updating the CFC’s Landscape and Garden Report, documenting the specimen trees, orchards, hedges and shrubs (photos, text and drawings);
- Assisting the Horticulturalist during major projects (lawn and garden rehabilitation, etc.) and watering during the absence of the Horticulturalist; and
- Assisting the Operations and Events staff with special grounds keeping and event set-ups.
- Enrolled in or recently completed an arborist, forest management or environmental management post-secondary program;
- Enthusiasm for maintaining Ontario’s heritage;
- Chainsaw licence an asset; and
- Poison licence an asset.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 29, 2020 and indicate “Arborist” in the subject line.
The CFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.