CFC / ENTERTAINMENT ONE TV ADAPTATION LAB
Eligibility & Application
The CFC / Entertainment One TV Adaptation Lab is an exciting new initiative that affords an unparalleled opportunity for Canadian content creators who own the rights to their creative properties, including comedy, theatre, stand up, novels, novellas, graphic novels, short stories, zines, web series, video games – material of all types, originating from anywhere in the world, that has the potential to be adapted into an exciting television series. The Lab is designed to support Canadian creatives and provide them with the potential to secure a series deal with Entertainment One, the world’s leading independent studio.
Up to 12 projects will be shortlisted to participate in the pitch phase of the program, however, only 3 will be invited to participate in the Lab, which will help the creators develop TV pilot scripts based on their creative properties.
- Application Deadline: applications are now closed
Up to 12 creators will be shortlisted to formally present and pitch their adaptation property in person to CFC and Entertainment One executives. The pitch process will not only provide an opportunity for those content creators to present their ideas on adapting their property, but also to receive feedback and insights on their approach.
The CFC / Entertainment One TV Adaptation Lab is designed to help participants workshop and develop TV pilot scripts for their creative properties.
The Lab will kick off with a three-day in-person adaptation bootcamp in Toronto with the 3 invited creative teams.
This bootcamp will focus on the creative concept process, exploring the television form, and sharing best practices in adapting work. It will host a select number of case studies with top professionals to explore different approaches/opportunities for adapting material to television. With a hands-on approach, the Lab is designed to help participants gain perspective and insights into the adaptation process, while considering which course of action might best serve their properties and set them on an accelerated course for series development.
These 3 creative teams will be given access to key creative mentors who will work with them over a three-month period as they continue to flesh out their creative strategies for the adaptation of their projects to TV and begin drafting their series pilot scripts. The Lab will officially end with the delivery of a draft pilot script and a package of creative pitch materials from each team to Entertainment One for consideration.
Click here for eligibility requirements, Entertainment One option agreement samples, and the application form.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR ONTARIANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
The CFC is committed to providing accessible practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or have any questions regarding appropriate accommodations please contact Deborah Fallows, CHRO, at:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are closed.
Eligible applicants of the CFC / Entertainment TV Adaptation Lab include content creators that are Canadian citizens or permanents residents of Canada. The Lab is open to all varieties of writer- and creator-driven content, including, but not limited to: comics, theatre, stand-up, novels, novellas, short stories, YouTubers, video games, zines and graphic novels – materials of all types, originating from anywhere in the world, created by Canadians.
Applicants must own and control the property on which the proposed TV series is based.
Before applying, it is important that creators understand and are comfortable with the fact that they will be required to enter into an option agreement with Entertainment One as an eligibility requirement and a condition to their participation in the Lab.
Entertainment One Agreements
Key provisions of the eOne Option Agreement for Phase 1:
(The Preparatory Pitch Phase)
1. Approval right over the chain of title for the Project and any other underlying materials
2. Exclusive and irrevocable option to acquire all rights of every kind including copyright in and to the Project
3. Creator may continue to exploit the underlying property on which the Project is based in its original form or format. By way of example, if the Project is based on a play, team may continue to permit public performances of the play
4. Option period ending upon completion of phase 1 when either:
(i)the project is selected to participate in the pilot script writing phase (Phase 2) and team must enter into separate agreements with eOne; or
(ii)the Project is not selected to participate in Phase 2 thereby automatically and immediately terminating the option provided eOne shall continue to have a 90 day first right of negotiation to acquire all or any of the rights in the Project on terms to be negotiated by the parties in good faith
Click here to see the Phase 1 Option Agreement
Key provisions of the eOne Option Agreement for Phase 2 which supplement the terms of the Phase 1 agreement:
(the TV Adaptation Lab)
5. Condition precedent that Creator enter into a pilot script writing services agreement with eOne at scale and under the jurisdiction of the WGC IPA
6. Option period extended for a further 24 months
7. Option purchase price of $5,000 to be treated as an advance against Royalties
8. Terms of pilot producing services and series producing services to be negotiated and agreed in this agreement which terms may include fees, credits, royalties, series sales bonus, contingent compensation, and exclusivity
9. Full ownership by eOne of the material produced under the agreement subject only to applicable guild agreements
10. Full control by eOne as to the time, manner and terms of distribution of any series
11. If option expires; or is exercised and eOne decides not to produce any production of any kind based on the granted rights; or a production has not commenced within a period of 5 years, then, eOne will quitclaim its rights and grant Creator a turnaround right to develop the project in accordance with eOne’s standard Turnaround agreement
Click here to see the Phase 2 Option Agreement
For any additional questions concerning the CFC / Entertainment One TV Adaptation Lab, please email Alaina McGravey at email@example.com