CFC Media Lab Showcases Latest Virtual Innovations from Glass to Rift at Immersed Conference
By Ana Serrano ● November 18, 2014 14:45
From Sunday, November 23 to Monday, November 24, 2014, Canada's first industry and creative conference devoted to all things virtual reality will take place in Toronto at 99 Sudbury. Organized by The Immersive Technology Alliance (The ITA), and funded by the Canada Media Fund (CMF) and the Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE), the IMMERSED Conference is a must-attend event for professionals interested in the business and creation of immersive experiences from augmented to virtual reality.
Confirmed speakers include celebrated creative technologists such as:
- John Gaeta, Creative Director New Experiences, Lucasfilm, best known for his Academy-Award winning work on the Matrix Trilogy ("bullet time" and "virtual cinematorgraphy");
- Ian Hunter, Creative Director, VFX Supervisor; Co-Founder, New Deal Studios; and Visual Effects Society (VES) award-winner for his work on The Dark Knight; and
- Habib Zargarpour, Creative Director, Microsoft Studios, who most recently received the 2014 SIGGRAPH award for Best Use of Real Time Graphics for his work on the game RYSE: Son of Rome
This two-day event will dive into the creative, technical and business realities of creating future entertainment experiences, and will provide content makers, technology innovators and professionals with the tools and resources needed to build their businesses and careers in an immersive world. As a key player in this conversation, CFC Media Lab collaborators and alumni will be participating in a number of panels on Monday, November 24, including:
- Meet The Industry Builders (9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.): Ana Serrano, Chief Digital Officer, CFC, will speak on a panel about readily available private and public resources and tools that turn great ideas into viable businesses. Representative speakers include the angel investment community and applicable government institutions.
- The Ingredients of the David Cronenberg Body/Mind/Change Rift Experence (10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.): the team behind the award-winning Body/Mind/Change initiative, produced by CFC Media Lab in co-production with TIFF, will speak about its next BMC extension: the Body/Mind/Change Rift Experience. J.Lee Williams and Blair Renaud, founders of Occupied VR, will speak alongside Ana Serrano.
- Sleepy Hollow Virtual Reality Experience: An Awakening Look at This Chilling Demo (5:00 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.): CFC Media Lab alumnus James Milward, Founder and Executive Producer, Secret Location, will unpack Secret Location's Digi Award-winning Rift extension to FOX Television's hit show.
Rounding out this two-day conference is a special exhibition open to the public with CFC Media Lab showcasing a joint exhibition with production partner, Occupied VR, and ideaBOOST Portfolio Company, Bubl Technology. Their booth will offer:
- Two Oculus Rift stations where audience members can experience the Body/Mind/Change RIFT Teaser;
- A BublCam station with another Rift to catch 360 degree full hemispherical films; and
- A Google Glass station with CFC Media Lab's SHARD app on display, the world's first real-time photo effects filter on Glass.
Click here to purchase tickets for the IMMERSED CONFERENCE.
For the two-day event: CFC community members can use the discount code "CFCimmersed" to take $100 off of the registration price.
For Monday only: CFC community members can use the discount code "CFCmonday" to register for a special price of $249.
Pre-registrants qualify for a draw for:
- 20 Gold Level Never Settle Bundles (three PC games per bundle!) from AMD
- 5 CEEKARS Virtual Reality Headphones from Next Galaxy
- 5 Leap Motions
- A GO HMD from ImmersiON-VRelia
- $500 of Worldviz Sponsored Prizes