Arborist (Summer Position)
Canadian Film Centre, 2489 Bayview Avenue
June 03, 2019
Chief Financial Officer
May 24, 2019
August 30, 2019
The Canadian Film Centre (CFC) is a charitable organization whose mission is to invest in and inspire the next generation of world-class Canadian content creators and entrepreneurs in the screen-based entertainment industry. CFC delivers a range of multidisciplinary programs and initiatives in film, television, music, screen acting, and digital media. Located at Windfields Estate, the former home of celebrated Canadian philanthropist and entrepreneur, Edward Plunket (E. P.) Taylor, the designated heritage property features eight buildings, two woodlots, hedgerows, ten gardens, and more than 200 specimen trees, excluding trees in the woodlots.
For further information and to view an interactive map of the CFC’s gardens visit: http://cfccreates.com/about/about-windfields
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to join our team to help upkeep and maintain the grounds of the Windfields Estate. As an Arborist, you will be responsible for employing best practices in the care of the specimen trees, orchards, woodlots, hedges and shrubs. This position offers a diverse range of hands-on responsibilities.
Summer contract, five (5) days per week
9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Compensation: $15.00 - $17.00 per hour
Note: proposed end date of August 30, 2019 is flexible.
Summary: Employing best practices in the care of the specimen trees, orchards, woodlots, hedges and shrubs.
- Watering the specimen trees, orchard trees, hedges and shrubs
- Fertilizing the specimen trees, orchard trees, hedges and shrubs
- Maintaining the tree mulch, including augmenting, shaping and weeding around the trees
- Weeding the hedges
- Pruning deadwood from specimen and orchard trees
- Combating pests
- Transplanting saplings to appropriate locations
- Maintaining the White Cedar hedge
- Implementing the CFC’s Woodlot Management Plan, including endangered species protection, hazard tree monitoring, understory clean-up, native species introduction and invasive species management
- Managing the fruit harvest
- Cleaning and maintaining the arborist tools and equipment
- Updating the CFC’s Landscape and Garden Report, documenting the specimen trees, orchards, hedges and shrubs (photos, text and drawings)
- Assisting the Gardener
- Assisting the Operations and Events staff with special groundskeeping and event setups
- Enrolment in an arborist or forestry program in a college or university
- Experience in arboreal work
- Chainsaw licence an asset
- Poison licence an asset
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 24, 2019 and indicate “Arborist” in the subject line.
The CFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.