Grounds Crew: Arborist/Gardener
Canadian Film Centre, 2489 Bayview Avenue
May 01, 2017
Director, Operations & Special Projects
May 01, 2017
September 30, 2017
The Canadian Film Centre (CFC) is a charitable organization whose mission is to invest in and inspire the next generation of world-class Canadian content creators and entrepreneurs in the screen-based entertainment industry. A significant economic and cultural driver in Canada and beyond, CFC delivers a range of multi-disciplinary programs and initiatives in film, television, music, screen acting, and digital media, which provides industry collaborations, strategic partnerships, and business and marketplace opportunities for talent and participants. For more information, visit cfccreates.com.
Working to meet or exceed specifications, strategies and best practices established by the CFC’s contracted professional gardens and landscaping service provider, the successful applicant will:
- Maintain the treed areas, orchards and hedges to a professional level of tidiness, cleanliness and excellent plant health
- Lead the implementation of the cleanup strategy for the main woodlot as described in the official Woodlot Management Report, including: Understory Cleanup, Woodlot Edge Planting, Hazard Tree Monitoring, Native Species Introduction, Endangered Species Protection, and Invasive Species Management
- Water the trees
- Mulch the bases of trees, where necessary
- Prune and maintain the orchards with attention paid to managing fallen fruit
- Combat pests including Ash Borer, Wasps and Ants, etc.
- Trim and tend the hedges for weeds and invasive species
- Apply fertilizers and growth aids
- Assist in watering the lawns and reseeding damaged lawn regions
- Assist in establishing a composting area for garden waste
- Collect seeds for germination and re-planting
- Lead the harvest of fruit from the orchards
- Maintain tools required for the execution of all duties and make recommendations for new tools required which will increase productivity
- Make recommendations for:
- increased plant diversity
- enhancing the impact and health of treed areas, hedgerows and woodlot
- improving systems and processes to do with the maintenance and betterment of the grounds, hedges and treed areas
- Collect documentation (photos and text) describing the forests, orchards and hedges with a view to creating an ongoing Landscape and Garden resource for the CFC
- Assist the CFC Operations summer crew with intermittent grounds keeping and event set-up projects
- A relevant degree or enrolment in an arborists program; training and experience in landscape maintenance
- Experience in arboreal work
Compensation: $13 per hour.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 1, 2017 and indicate “Grounds Crew: Arborist/Gardener” in the subject line.
The CFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted. No telephone calls please.